Hello, we’re Tide.
We believe SMEs have been vastly underserviced and overlooked by traditional banks. Something as simple as opening an account can take weeks, mountains of paperwork and too much time. Through a mobile-first platform, we provide modern business banking services to small-business owners, saving them time so they can get back to doing what they love.
Based in central London, Tide is backed by some of Europe’s most notable founders and investors, including Robin and Saul Klein (LocalGlobe) and Alex Chesterman (Zoopla Property Group), as well as top VCs in London and Stockholm (Anthemis, Creandum and Passion Capital).
We’re offering the right person, the opportunity to join our dynamic team to help unlock the next stage of our growth. We’re a rocket ship that's going places – this looks a little like world domination!
Your day will look a little like this:
As a General Counsel at Tide (fondly referred to as a Tidean - a god-like challenger of the banking world) you will have the honourable badge of being our first Tidean to take the reigns as our first in-house legal counsel! You will take ownership of all legal matters at Tide and be heavily involved defining our risk and compliance procedures. You will assist senior management in helping Tide scale through and beyond our Series B, and be responsible for managing all external legal relationships.
Your areas of responsibilities will include:
Legal and First line of Defense Compliance:
- Documentation of regulatory governance requirements (Tide are FCA authorised e-money institution)
- Staying current with legal and regulatory changes and ensuring Tide are compliant at all times. This includes compiling timelines and action plans for implementation
- Implementation of risk and compliance procedures
- Responsibility for FCA filings
- Maintaining the Tide Risk Register
- Equity and debt raising
- Data protection and GDPR compliance
- Ensuring compliance with Anti-money laundering and Anti-bribery policies and procedures
- Supporting and advising the Financial Crime team with FOS complaints and occasionally more complex law enforcement enquiries
- Working with the second line of defense Risk & Compliance function being set up in due course
- Ownership of member terms and conditions
- Commercial contract support including sales, marketing and PR
- IP advice
Board and corporate:
- Board meeting process and governance
- Company secretarial for all Tide entities; Company Secretary for Tide Platform Ltd (UK operating entity of Tide)
- Shareholder management
- Employment law
- Employee ownership scheme management
- Corporate structuring
Who are we looking for?
- You will be an experienced lawyer with private practise background, alongside recent exposure to VC backed startups
- You’ll have in depth knowledge of FCA regulatory requirements
- You’ll be commercially aware, and have prior experience on taking the lead on complex contract negotiations
- You will thrive working in a fast paced technology company
- Have a strong interest in all things FinTech
What are we like to work for?
- We’re not corporate, we’re a start-up. You will have an unparalleled exposure to many areas of the business – improve and impact how we work
- We will give you the freedom to be inquisitive and proactive – pursue your interests and develop career with us as we scale
- We’re open and progressive – input is encouraged at all levels
- We’re a social bunch. We celebrate the milestones, big and small and genuinely enjoy each other’s company!
Diversity is what makes our world interesting. Different people bring fresh new ideas, thinking and approaches, which make the way work is undertaken more effective and efficient. If you’re not into diversity, Tide may not be in the right place for you! Tide holds itself accountable against measurable diversity objectives.