Lead Solutions Architect
Hello, we’re Tide.
We believe SMEs have been vastly underserviced and overlooked by traditional banks. Something as simple as opening an account can take weeks, mountains of paperwork and too much time. Through a mobile-first platform, we provide modern business banking services to small-business owners, saving them time so they can get back to doing what they love.
Based in central London, Tide is backed by some of Europe’s most notable founders and investors, including Robin and Saul Klein (LocalGlobe) and Alex Chesterman (Zoopla Property Group), as well as top VCs in London and Stockholm (Anthemis, Creandum and Passion Capital).
We’re offering the right person, the opportunity to join our dynamic team to help unlock the next stage of our growth. We’re a rocket ship that's going places – this looks a little like world domination!
Your day will look a little like this:
As a Lead Solutions Architect at Tide (fondly referred to as a Tidean, a god like challenger of the banking world) you will be responsible for:
- Supporting your teams towards continuous innovation:
- Be the evangelist of engineering patterns & practices through coaching, mentoring and training
- Recommend new platforms, tools and technologies to stakeholders
- Advocate when to partner with other fintechs and when to innovate in-house
- Collaborate with product owners and UX on discovering user needs and assessing technical feasibility
- Work both inside and outside of multiple Scrum teams
- PIoneer new approaches and lead proofs of concept
- Simplify complex integration projects
- Encourage quality through non-functional (as well as functional) requirements
- Work closely with DevOps engineers to continuously improve platform reliability, monitoring, alerting, performance and security
- Empower and support team members to remove impediments, and escalate organisational blockers
- Help to establish and actively participate in the Tide Architecture Community of Practice, sometimes taking the lead
Being a leader:
- Mentor & nurture less experienced members of the Architecture team
- Perform line management duties such as appraisals
- Grow your team by assisting in the hiring process
- You will have excellent persuading & listening skills
Some Tools we use today:
- We use Terraform, Amazon Web Services, and Docker, amongst others.
Who are we looking for?
The Lead Solutions Architect role at Tide is a blend of coaching, creative thinking and applying real-world engineering principles. We are building an environment where continuous improvement is a focus and where everyone’s common goal is to deliver outstanding software as fast as possible whilst having fun.
What we look for in you:
- At least 5 years experience as a Solutions Architect
- 10+ years in IT with hands-on development experience in your early career
- Passionate about software engineering patterns & architectural best practices
- A whiteboard marker is your weapon of choice
- You dream of sequence diagrams
- Pragmatic when it comes to reusing, buying or building software
- A servant leader attitude
- Adept at collaborating with, and influencing, software engineers
- Comfortable building large-scale applications in the cloud supporting millions of customers, preferably running on the JVM at the back-end with both mobile & web apps
- You know your monoliths from your microservices, and REST from SOAP
- Broad knowledge of a range of application servers, databases, load balancers and other infrastructure components
- Experience building architecture teams from the ground up in a high-growth business
- Exposure to Agile principles, processes, and practices
- Practical understanding of stream processing, machine learning and big data technologies such as Kafka, Pulsar, Samza, Flink, Tensorflow, H2O, Cassandra, Hadoop.
- Bonus points if you have worked in banking, financial services or fintech
What are we like to work for?
- We’re not corporate, we’re a start-up. You will have an unparalleled exposure to many areas of the business – improve and impact how we work
- We will give you the freedom to be inquisitive and proactive – pursue your interests and develop career with us as we scale
- We’re open and progressive – input is encouraged at all levels
- We’re a social bunch. We celebrate the milestones, big and small and genuinely enjoy each other’s company!
Diversity is what makes our world interesting. Different people bring fresh new ideas, thinking and approaches, which make the way work is undertaken more effective and efficient. If you’re not into diversity, Tide may not be in the right place for you! Tide holds itself accountable against measurable diversity objectives.