Lead DevOps Engineer
Hello, we’re Tide.
We believe SMEs have been vastly underserviced and overlooked by traditional banks. Something as simple as opening an account can take weeks, mountains of paperwork and too much time. Through a mobile-first platform, we provide modern business banking services to small-business owners, saving them time so they can get back to doing what they love.
Based in central London, Tide is backed by some of Europe’s most notable founders and investors, including Robin and Saul Klein (LocalGlobe) and Alex Chesterman (Zoopla Property Group), as well as top VCs in London and Stockholm (Anthemis, Creandum and Passion Capital).
We’re offering the right person, the opportunity to join our dynamic team to help unlock the next stage of our growth. We’re a rocket ship that's going places – this looks a little like world domination!
Your day will look a little like this:
As a Lead DevOps Engineer at Tide (fondly referred to as a Tidean, a god like challenger of the banking world) you will be responsible for:
Supporting your teams towards continuous delivery:
- Be the evangelist of the DevOps mindset, through coaching, mentoring and training
- Set or influence the platform, tools and environment for DevOps in Tide
- Strive for almost 100% automation of our DevOps processes
- Work both inside and outside of multiple Scrum teams
- Lead platform migrations and upgrades
- Continuously improve platform reliability, monitoring, alerting, performance and security
- Empower and support team members to remove impediments, and escalate organisational blockers
- Help to establish and actively participate in the Tide DevOps Community of Practice, sometimes taking the lead
- Tide provides 24/7 banking so you will be expected to participate in 3rd line support duties
Being a leader:
- Mentor & nurture less experienced members of the DevOps team
- Perform line management duties such as appraisals
- Grow your team by assisting in the hiring process
- You have a cool head, remaining calm under pressure & cope with uncertainty
- You will have good persuading & listening skills
Some Tools we use today
- We use Terraform, Amazon Web Services, Bitbucket and Jenkins, amongst others.
Who are we looking for?
The Lead DevOps engineer role at Tide is a blend of coaching, nurturing and hands-on engineering. We are building an environment where continuous integration, delivery and deployment is a key focus and where everyone’s common goal is to deliver outstanding software as fast as possible whilst having fun.
What we look for in you:
- At least 3 years experience as a DevOps Engineer
- Passionate about automation, build pipelines, release trains, infrastructure-as-code, IaaS, PaaS and all things DevOps
- A servant leader attitude
- Adept at coaching software engineers in the principles and tools of DevOps to enable them to become self-sufficient
- You have built large-scale applications in the cloud supporting millions of customers, preferably running on the JVM at the back-end with both mobile & web apps
- Can demonstrate expert level proficiency in one or more of the usual DevOps scripting languages like Groovy, Python or shell scripting
- Experience building DevOps teams from the ground up in a high-growth business
- Exposure to Agile principles, processes, and practices
- Bonus points if you have SecOps skills or exposure to security projects and/or big data experience
What are we like to work for?
- We’re not corporate, we’re a start-up. You will have an unparalleled exposure to many areas of the business – improve and impact how we work
- We will give you the freedom to be inquisitive and proactive – pursue your interests and develop career with us as we scale
- We’re open and progressive – input is encouraged at all levels
- We’re a social bunch. We celebrate the milestones, big and small and genuinely enjoy each other’s company!
Diversity is what makes our world interesting. Different people bring fresh new ideas, thinking and approaches, which make the way work is undertaken more effective and efficient. If you’re not into diversity, Tide may not be in the right place for you! Tide holds itself accountable against measurable diversity objectives.