VC-funded fintech startup - Senior Java Engineer
Introducing Tide - The nimble small business current account
Tide is fixing financial services for small businesses. Members can open a business current account in seconds and get instant access to an integrated set of all the financial services they need to run their business in a simple mobile and desktop environment.
Tide has recently emerged from a secret pre-launch phase and announced a 7-figure seed funding round from leading venture capital firms and industry insiders. We have been featured in the technology press including TechCrunch, Business Insider, and The Memo. Our senior management and founding team have over 50 years of experience in financial services and entrepreneurship.
Our world class engineering team are responsible for improving, developing, and maintaining the existing infrastructure and API which powers Tide daily. These APIs are critical to enabling Tide’s customers to interact with their business finances, and as such need to embody many of our core values - they must be fast, secure, and reliable.
We're an agile business with a clear long-term roadmap. Requirements change as we learn from how our products interact with the market and we believe in adapting quickly, learning by doing, and being willing to be wrong once in awhile. We are a small team of highly capable people who believe passionately in the problem we are solving, collaborate closely with direct feedback, and encourage action over deliberation. You can read about our culture here.
As a hard working, experienced developer you have a passion for engineering high quality, scalable solutions. You are also aware that thorough unit testing and documentation is vital to ensuring the project is easy to maintain in the future, and easier for new developers to work on. The desire you have to engineer lasting solutions is infectious, and something you enjoy sharing with less experienced developers.
You will enjoy working in a fast paced, agile environment, where you can work with very smart people, and improve your skillset working on interesting challenges. It’s also important to be pragmatic in a startup environment, and to understand that a great working solution is preferable to a perfect one, and to know when to tackle the next task.
The Role and Responsibilities
We have a codebase of interesting and complex features with a roadmap of exciting new additions, and we are looking for experienced Java software engineers to join our expanding team, and help us deliver incredible solutions. You will be required to work closely with product owners, mobile developers, and other business members to translate written requirements into well engineered solutions. Maintaining and improving existing code quality is an important part of this role, as well as automated testing and documentation. There is some technical debt to be resolved, and mentoring less experienced developers will be required.
Senior developers must be communicative and constructive across all areas of the business, and may be asked to contribute to hiring, best practices, and improving processes.
Essential experience and skills
- 5+ or more years of software development experience
- Sound knowledge of recent Java SDKs and syntax
- Refactoring experience, and resolving technical debt
- Implementing RESTful APIs
- Experience integrating with 3rd party RESTful APIs
- Engineering scalable and reliable solutions
- Mentoring less experienced developers
- Writing documentation and automated tests for new features as required, and existing functionality
- Thorough experience of relational databases
- Experience with automated testing approaches - test driven development, unit testing, integration testing, and BDD testing
- Exposure to continuous integration tools
- Understanding of ORMs
- Knowledge of software engineering patterns such as Dependency Injection
- Working familiarity with code revisioning and branching, ideally Git
- Use of common productivity tools
- Amazon Web Services exposure
- Technical degree
- Amazon Web Services
- Java 8
What we offer you
- Friendly and smart team with clear goals
- Flexible and relaxed working environment
- Exciting, well funded, fast paced startup opportunity
- Fantastic opportunity to share in the company’s success as it grows
We pay competitive startup salaries, including share options. We believe that candidates which are passionate about what they do, and work hard to create the best product for the end user deserve to share in the success of the company.