VC-funded fintech startup - Senior Java Engineer
Introducing Tide - The nimble small business current account
Financial services for small businesses are broken: Tide is fixing them. Our members open a business current account in 5 minutes and get instant access to an integrated set of all the financial services they need to run their business in a simple mobile and desktop environment.
Tide launched in January 2017 and has announced $16m funding from leading venture capital firms (Anthemis, Creandum, LocalGlobe and Passion) and industry insiders. We have grown extremely fast since our launch and are now considered among the most exciting tech startups in Europe. More significantly, we have the privilege of progressing a mission which is genuinely important for the world.
Please read more about Tide and our product:
You can also read about our culture, which we take very seriously.
As a hard working, experienced developer you have a passion for engineering high quality, scalable solutions. You are also aware that thorough unit testing and documentation is vital to ensuring the project is easy to maintain in the future, and easier for new developers to work on. The desire you have to engineer lasting solutions is infectious, and something you enjoy sharing with less experienced developers.
You will enjoy working in a fast paced, agile environment, where you can work with very smart people, and improve your skillset working on interesting challenges. It’s also important to be pragmatic in a startup environment, and to understand that a great working solution is preferable to a perfect one, and to know when to tackle the next task.
The Role and Responsibilities
We have a codebase of interesting and complex features with a roadmap of exciting new additions, and we are looking for experienced Java software engineers to join our expanding team, and help us deliver incredible solutions. You will be required to work closely with product owners, mobile developers, and other business members to translate written requirements into well engineered solutions. Maintaining and improving existing code quality is an important part of this role, as well as automated testing and documentation. There is some technical debt to be resolved, and mentoring less experienced developers will be required.
Senior developers must be communicative and constructive across all areas of the business, and may be asked to contribute to hiring, best practices, and improving processes.
Essential experience and skills
- 5+ or more years of software development experience
- Sound knowledge of recent Java SDKs and syntax
- Refactoring experience, and resolving technical debt
- Implementing RESTful APIs
- Experience integrating with 3rd party RESTful APIs
- Engineering scalable and reliable solutions
- Mentoring less experienced developers
- Writing documentation and automated tests for new features as required, and existing functionality
- Thorough experience of relational databases
- Experience with automated testing approaches - test driven development, unit testing, integration testing, and BDD testing
- Exposure to continuous integration tools
- Understanding of ORMs
- Knowledge of software engineering patterns such as Dependency Injection
- Working familiarity with code revisioning and branching, ideally Git
- Use of common productivity tools
- Amazon Web Services exposure
- Technical degree
- Amazon Web Services
- Java 8
What we offer you
- Friendly and smart team with clear goals
- Flexible and relaxed working environment
- Exciting, well funded, fast paced startup opportunity
- Fantastic opportunity to share in the company’s success as it grows
We pay competitive startup salaries, including share options. We believe that candidates which are passionate about what they do, and work hard to create the best product for the end user deserve to share in the success of the company.